Could you claim personal injury compensation abroad?

We all love to go on holiday, but do you know how to go about claiming personal injury compensation if you have an accident abroad?

A personal injury solicitor will need to know some details about your accident. Firstly you need to get the names and addresses of any witnesses. Asking them to write a signed statement would also help. You should also get as much detail as possible about other people who were involved in the accident.

These days, most of us have a digital camera or a mobile phone with camera. Use it to take photos or a video of the accident scene. If possible, draw a sketch as well to show how and where the incident took place.

If you need to go to hospital for treatment after your accident, make sure you get evidence of the treatment. Although this might be in the language of the country you were in, it can be translated at a later date.

Not everybody realises that there is a time limit for filing a personal injury claim. In the UK the time limit is 3 years, unless the accident was on a boat or plane, when it becomes 2 years. In some countries the time limit is not so generous so you must find out the regulations in the country where you wish to file the claim.

It’s always a good idea to take out travel insurance when you go away on holiday but make sure it does cover you for personal injuries, medical expenses and the cost of repatriation to the UK.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.