One personal injury solicitor firm could net as much as £200,000 in compensation for hotel guests laid low by a particularly nasty illness, it was recently revealed.
A recent bug that ravaged more than 100 guests of the Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire left victims suffering from vomiting and with diarrhoea last week, leading to one firm of injury solicitors to set up a victim hotline in order to provide information on howto make claims for personal injury compensation against the luxury hotel for loss of earnings, medical expenses, and any other costs the bug might have caused.
Patrick McGuire, a lawyer for the firm, said that there could be more than £200,000 in damages from the injury and illness the guests suffered – and that figure doesn’t even include any lost earnings. While Gleneagles marketing director, Dorothy Welsh, has said that the lion’s share of guests that were affected are back home safe and sound, the hotel was crawling with environmental health officers earlier last week, investigating how the debilitating bug found its way into the hotel in the first place.
The culprit, a particular bug known as a norovirus, is most often transmitted by either contaminated water or food. Most outbreaks occur due to unhygienic conditions in kitchens or other areas where food is prepared.
Norovirus is very common and could have been brought in by one of the hotel guests, NHS Tayside said, adding that there are one of two guests still suffering from symptoms. Most guests have recovered fully, the NHS also said.